A Botanical Garden in the Capital City
Free to Access, Open 365 Days a Year, Sunrise to Sunset
With 224 acres of gardens, trails, and natural habitats, Viles Arboretum offers visitors the unique opportunity to explore and learn about nature right in the heart of the city of Augusta, Maine.
There are over six miles of trails that wind through dozens of gardens and natural areas, making it a great place for year-round recreation. Enjoy hiking, walking, biking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing - all accessible at no cost.
Trails that offer access to a wide variety of habitats make the Arboretum an incredible destination for wildlife watching. Our botanical collections feature native and non-native plants of statewide importance.
There is no fee for visiting Viles Arboretum. Access to our hiking trails, walking paths, and botanical gardens is free for everyone. We are a private, non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, donations, and gifts. Click here to support Viles Arboretum or become a member.
Leave No Trace
- Stay on marked trails
- Respect all plants and wildlife. Collection, damaging, or harassing plants and wildlife is not permitted
- Carry out all trash and pet waste
- Dogs are welcome and must be on leash at all times. Please pick up after your pet. Dog-waste stations and complimentary bags are available at trail head kiosks
- No climbing trees or art installations
- No smoking, fires, grills, or combustibles of any kind
- No hunting, fishing, trapping
- Individuals or businesses looking to host an event or other function at the Arboretum must obtain prior authorization
- Commercial photographers must obtain a permit to utilize the Arboretum. Click here to purchase.
Thank you for enjoying our space respectfully.
Visitor Center & Gift Shop
Take a break from the trails!
Stop by our Visitor Center for information on trail conditions, year round access to restrooms, and ski and snowshoe rentals. Browse our giftshop or enjoy a variety of educational exhibits and hand-on learning opportunities.
Ski & Snowshoe Rentals
Vile Arboretum has a selection of Cross Country Skis and Snowshoes available to rent during our visitor center hours. Rentals are on a first come, first served basis.
Children 17 and under: FREE
Adults: $15 for 3 hours
Winter Trail Etiquette
For the 2023 season, we will be grooming the Outer Loop and the Bobolink Trails for cross country skiing. We ask that hikers and snowshoers please travel to the side of the tracks.
Find the perfect keepsake or gift!
The gift shop at Viles Arboretum, located inside the visitor center, features beverages, snacks, nature guides, local artisan gifts, plants, books, posters, jewelry, greeting cards, and more!
153 Hospital St
Augusta, ME 04330
Phone: (207) 626-7989
Trails open daily, sunrise to sunset, all year round