A Free Botanical Garden In Augusta, ME
6 MILES OF TRAILS, EXCELLENT WILDLIFE WATCHING, SKIING & SNOWSHOEING, INTERPRETIVE SIGNAGE , 20+ BOTANICAL COLLECTIONS, VISITOR CENTER & GIFT SHOP, AND MUCH MORE!
Viles Arboretum is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was established in 1982 in conjunction with the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands in order to provide educational, recreational, and inspirational opportunities through the conservation of land and the cultivation of trees and other woody plants from around the world. Located in Maine's Capital City, the Arboretum is a no-fee 224 acre botanical garden which features miles of trails, a rotating suite of programs and events, a full service visitor center, and a variety of habitats home to flora and fauna of Statewide importance.
Visiting Viles Arboretum
Are you planning your first trip to our Arboretum? Here's what you need to know:
There is no fee for visiting Viles Arboretum. Access to our hiking trails, walking paths, and botanical gardens is free for everyone. We are a private, non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, donations, and gifts. Click here to support Viles Arboretum or become a member.
Leave No Trace
- Stay on marked trails
- Respect all plants and wildlife. Collection, damaging, or harassing plants and wildlife is not permitted
- Carry out all trash and pet waste
- Dogs are welcome and must be on leash at all times. Please pick up after your pet. Dog-waste stations and complimentary bags are available at trail head kiosks
- No climbing trees or art installations
- No smoking, fires, grills, or combustibles of any kind
- No hunting, fishing, trapping
- Individuals or businesses looking to host an event or other function at the Arboretum must obtain prior authorization
- Commercial photographers must obtain a permit to utilize the Arboretum. Click here to purchase.
Viles Arboretum offers a variety of recreational opportunities for visitors of all ages. Here are some of the recreational activities you can enjoy during your visit:
Hiking and Walking: over six miles of trails that wind through gardens, forests, wetlands, and meadows. These trails offer great opportunities for hiking, walking, and exploring the natural areas of the arboretum.
Bird & Wildlife Watching: The diverse habitats found within Viles Arboretum provide excellent wildlife watching opportunities. Throughout the year you can spot a variety of birds, mammals, insects, reptiles, and fish.
Snowshoeing and Cross-Country Skiing: During the winter months, Viles Arboretum's trails provide excellent opportunities for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. Equipment rentals are available in the visitor center.
Picnicking: There are several picnic areas throughout Viles Arboretum that offer scenic views and peaceful settings for enjoying a picnic lunch or snack.
Geocaching: Viles Arboretum is home to several geocaches, which offer a fun and interactive way to explore the arboretum while searching for hidden treasures.
Photography: Viles Arboretum is a beautiful and scenic location for photography. The gardens, trees, and natural areas provide endless opportunities for capturing stunning photos.
Located in downtown Augusta, ME, Viles Arboretum is the perfect location for your next meeting, conference, party, wedding, or other special event. We offer a variety of indoor and outdoor spaces in a beautiful, yet convenient setting.
- Wireless high speed internet access
- Full commercial kitchen on site
- Newly renovated indoor spaces with tables and seating for up to 100 people
- Stunning outdoor spaces perfect for weddings or other events
Weddings & Large Events
Meetings & Small Gatherings